Complete Idiot's Guide to Getting a Tattoo
Considering Pat Sullivan, our resident "I-Swear-I'm-Not-A-Hipster" blogger, will soon be interviewing John Reardon, I felt it fitting to revisit the tattooist's book The Complete Idiot's Guide to Getting a Tattoo.
Released last year, John walks readers through every step of the process, from deciding on the art and artist, to physically prepping for the event, to aftercare. It's a comprehensive guide for first-timers, which also features his own tattoo art and designs.
For those looking to get tattooed by John, he now divides his time between Saved Tattoo in Brooklyn and Bright Side Tattoo in Copenhagen, Denmark (ya know, just the next exit on the Brookly-Queens Expressway). Pat will have more on the artist coming soon.
While John does a great job with the book, I did want to add five tips, rather warning signs, on when walk away from the needles:
1. If the studio slogan is this: "If You Can't Run With The Big Dogz, Go Piss With The Puppies," walkz away.
2. If the design has you feeling less like Megan Fox and more like Meghan McCain, walk away.
3. If your tattoo artist has a "degree" from the Las Vegas Ink School, walk away. In fact, if you are prone to seizures, don't even click the animated Giff-laden site for the school.
[Thanks, Chris, for the link and headache.]
4. If the artist's portfolio is consistently featured on the Fail blog, walk away.
5. Finally, if your tattoo artist looks like this and is willing to tattoo a full constellation on your young face, walk away. Or at least walk away from the media blitz.